.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

April 04, 2005

Alexander in Alexandria (the one in Egypt)

I just spent about the laziest weekend ever, it was wonderful. The rainy yucky weather kept me inside and in my bed most of the time watching either AMC or the History Channel. I'm currently obsessed with the mystery behind the Tomb of Alexander the Great. I know, I know, I'm such an nerd. But, I really do find this stuff facinating for some reason. The more I learn about Alexander the Great the more I am amazed at the brilliance of Oliver Stone. I mean it really must take a genius to make such an awful film about arguably the most facinating historical figure ever. That movie was so bad I nearly wept.

Anyway, I also find it interesting that Alexander the Great was nearly a mythical greek god of legends until some time during the Renaissance when historical accounts of his life were rediscovered and he was placed back into the pantheon of actual historical figures. It gives that romantic wanna be archeaologist in me a warm fuzzy feeling at the thought that other mythical legends have a real historical root that just might not be that far off from the legend after all.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?