.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

March 14, 2005

Monday Mic Night

I went to an Open Mic night tonight with my Dad and Gianluca. It was actually a lot of fun, the range of talent was vast. There was a guy probably still too young to drive, a Mom who seemed to go every week, and a 40-something guy playing acoustic piano versions of hardcore scream songs. One of the choruses went something like "Rev my engine over and over again". I think that the best thing about it was that each act was limited to 10 minutes so there was a light at the end of the tunnel for even the most painful "musicians". It was held at Jammin' Java, which since its been converted from ultra christian to cool upbeat coffee shop with a liquor license has become quite a nice concert venue. It's small and comfortable and it has fairly good espresso. The best acts in my opinion were a guy who just moved from Washington state playing acoustic instramentals and a girl from Alexandria who apparently just got back from touring the country. Of course the most boring act of the night brought the largest following of teenage girls and therefore got the loudest applause. Also, I saw a guy I used to have a passing crush on in high school, you know the type, the really cute, sweet guy that got voted Best All Around Senior Year, sigh. They have these things every monday, I may have to go back again.

Comments:
ooh, which high school guy?
 
Tim Minor, you remember him?
 
no, not at all. was he our year? cross country?
 
yeah our year, no he was a baseball guy, I didn't know him really at all, but I remember him being cute and always a nice guy.
 
Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?