.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

March 10, 2005

To those who are about to be HardCore...

I Salute You!

It snowed on my way to work this morning. "What's the big deal?" You say? "It was just a dusting." You say! "It was kind of PRETTY." YOU SAY! I beg to differ. You see, I biked to work this morning, so it was snowing 8 out of the 12 miles of my ride. The cold I was prepared for but, the snow caught me by suprise. Normally I probably would have wimped out when I went outside in my PJ's and realized just how fucking cold it was, but I had got it in my head that I was going to do an Olympic sized triathlon in 3 days and far be it for me to let a little cold get in the way of my Ox headed dream. On Tuesday I ran 10km and yesterday I swam 1.5km so when I realized my round trip commute to work by bike was 40km I thought, "hey, I can do this!" If I had time I might tell you about the time I hiked through gale force sub zero winds in Scotland but that will have to wait for another time. Needless to say, sometimes I'm just not that smart.

Anyway, so the real reason that I'm writing this morning is to do some shout-outs to the various other insane people on the W&OD trail this morning.

To all of the other bike commuters, I salute you!
To the early morning runners with your discmen and all, I salute you!
To all the old guys powerwalking with Balaclavas one, I salute you!
To all the people walking or running with their cute dogs, I salute you!
To the construction team at Difficult Run, I salute you! (even though you weren't doing any work and you took up almost the entire trail so I had to swerve around you)
To the cute biker that said good morning to me in Vienna when the snow was at it's worst and I was really in need of a pick-me-up, I salute you!

And then to my waterbottle that began to freeze at about mile 7, what is your problem? Why is it that typical biking waterbottles have absolutely no insulation? Well, at least it didn't freeze up all the way.

So now my triathlon competeing roomates and coworkers are trying to convince me that I need to do a Sprint Triathlon which I'll admit sounds pretty tempting, but really do they have to be so expensive? The one my coworker forwarded this morning is $74 not to mention that I'll probably have to get my hands on some special swim suit that I can also run and bike in as well as a special Tri Bike that I hear is ridiculously expensive. So we'll see...

Comments:
hey, how long does it take to bike 8-10 miles, would you say? i'm thinking of taking my bike to chicago, and that's about the distance between the city and campus.
 
I bet you'd roll into Chicago about 45 minutes after setting out. Assuming, of course, that your corpse froze into a perfectly-balanced position.
 
Yeah I agree, it takes me about an hour to bike 12 miles, so about 45 mintues is a good estimate, but it depends on how many hills there are an how good your bike is. You're bike looks pretty nice so I'm betting you can make good time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?