.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

December 28, 2004

Only Manly Men wear thongs

Thanks to Naomi for sending me this bit of Australian fun.

LEDGER SHOCKS TV HOST WITH TALK OF GRABBING 'WEENIES'
Heath Ledger shocked American audiences by talking about grabbing
"weenies" with his male buddies while wearing "thongs".
The Australian actor, 25, stunned host Regis Philbin with his
Antipodean colloquialisms for having a hot dog while sporting
flip-flops as he detailed the way he bonds with his male pals over
Christmas.

Ledger says, "I was promoting my film on the 'Regis and Kathie Lee Show'".

"Regis asked me what I did Down Under for Christmas fun, so I told him
that me and my mates liked to put on our thongs and grab weenies and
look at the world go by, and that was our perfect way to male-bond.

"The whole audience just went silent, and Regis was all frantic
gesturing for a commercial break.

"At the break, I explained that in Australia, Christmas is our summer
and thongs are flip-flops, not G-strings, and I meant putting hot dogs
(weenies) on the barbie (barbeque)."


Most Australians are careful about their own slang terms, when speaking to American audiences, so the questions is, is this an honest innocent mistake on Ledger's part or was it a fun loving Aussie jab at us uptight Americans?

this reminds me of walking down a street in Melbourne, Australia and chatting with a friend. She was explaining to me why a friend of hers couldn't come out with us that night. I think I remember her saying something like "her and her boyfriend are on the runs." There was a very amusing and embarrassing conversation that followed in which i found out that she meant the couple were having a fight and did not have any bowel problems that she knew of.

Sidenote- you can get amazing weenies at the club parties in Uni Melbourne, and they're free if you show any interest at all in joining their club. I got one at the Surfing club and the Scuba Diving club. I miss Australia!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?