.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

December 14, 2004

The Lynching of Earthsea

Ok so maybe I should have written this when I was more fired up about it last night but oh well. Anyway, so as you may know (and may not care) I've recently read the Ursula K. LeGuin Earthsea books. These books tell a great story and create an amazing world that could never really exist. It has dragons and wizards and yes even fulfilled prophecies. Last night the first episode of a Scifi mini series based on these books aired for the first time. Not that I was at all hopeful that the SciFi channel would actually come up with anything good but at least I thought it would be bearable!

I was worried when I looked up the official Legend of Earthsea Miniseries website and found that they'd added a whole new main character that wasn't even in the books. But was not fully prepared for the horror that appeared last night.

As many of you have probably not even read the books its hard to explain the butchering that I witnessed last night. Suffice it to say that it looked to me like they asked a four year old child with no grasp of plot or meaning to roughly outline the books and then gave this to the screenwriter and said go with it. Although in reality, the screenwriter must have (this is based on hope rather than product) read the books there is no indication in the miniseries that this person understood any of the reasons that these books have received international acclaim. I'm utterly flabbergasted. It's worse than taking religion out of His Dark Materials, it's like like translating "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" into "bad luck" there's no poetry, no depth, and no understanding. I'd like to say that I'm boycotting the rest of the miniseries, but I'm weak. I'm stuck watching this train wreck out of shear masochism.

PS- sorry for the lack of links, but it's 5pm and time to go to the gym.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?