.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

September 08, 2004

Annie are you OK?

Last night I spent house-sitting for Lauren's parents who just happen to live within a 5 minute walk to my work, very nice. The dog, Folly, is great although completely deaf. I've never had a dog that has gone deaf so I sort of don't know how to act. I still say reassuring things to her, which Matt has pointed out as futile. There is a dog in one of the neighbors houses which goes into histerics every time I walk by with Folly and I sort of find it a little eerie the way the Folly completely does not react. The weirdest thing, however, was the fact that I had to wake Folly up this morning. I've never had to wake a dog up in the morning, our dogs were always up and hour before we were ready. I must say though Folly is the easiest being I've ever had to wake up, she popped right up and was ready for her walk.
------
On another subject entirely. We had Red Cross Adult CPR and First Aid training at my work today. Seven of us spent most of the day watching videos and abusing legless dolls named Little Anne. Needless to say I had that Michael Jackson song in my head all day, "Annie are you ok? are you ok? are you ok, Annie?". There were all sorts of other disturbing things that went on during this course:

the dummies we used had removable faces, one of which we were each assigned. I perfectly understand the germ phobia that inspired this, but it's still a little disconcerting to peel a latex face off of a dummy.

the acting in the videos, DISTURBING!!

the pictures of an avulsion and 3rd degree burn segment, also grotesque.

the advice the booklet gives for caring for a pregnant woman:
Do not let the woman get up or leave to find a bathroom
Do not hold her knees together; this will not slow the birth process...
Do not pull on the baby

there were many other disturbing things that may not come across in type such as certain coworkers attempting to give other certain coworkers the Hiemlich maneuver, and one coworker performing compressions right over the notch at the bottom of the sternum.

The upside is that this day has gone by really fast for me and I haven't had to do any work. Oh I just found this picture of Baby Anne, I'm glad we didn't get certified in infant CPR! Can you imagine peeling the face off???

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?