.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

July 17, 2006

I'm Melting

Denver hit another record high yesterday at 106 degrees and I don't have air conditioning. Rick saved me on Saturday by organizing an impromptu camping trip in the nice cool mountains. However, I was back in my sweltering apartment on Sunday afternoon debating whether or not getting drunk by myself at a bar at 2 in the afternoon simply to be in an air-conditioned place was a wise decision. It was so hot that the power company apparently had to institute rolling blackouts simply to cope with the power used by everyone's AC's. Even the Body Worlds exhibit was forced to close for an hour or so while the museum was hit by one of these blackouts.

This morning it was already 76 degrees out at 6 am when I got up. I couldn't wait to get to work where its always freezing no matter what the temperature is outside. One of the interesting ways that Coloradians deal with the heat are swamp coolers. I'd never heard of these things till I moved out here since they probably wouldn't work so well in a place as humid as Northern Virginia. But apparently they work wonderfully in semi-arid Colorado. Basically, it's a machine that sits on top of your house and sprays cool water down through a fan which vaporizes it. These use much less electricity than a normal AC and many people out here swear by them.

I'm hoping that next weekend isn't as bad as this last weekend, but if it is you'll probably be able to find me at the gay coffee shop down the street taking advantage of their free wifi and AC. Either that or taking a cold cold shower.

Comments:
Take frequent cold showers and buy a High Velocity fan from Target (or wherever)....it saved me!
 
Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?