.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

June 26, 2006

Dead Bodies and Dead Phones

Monday whoopee, at least this weekend is a 4 day weekend and Brian flies in on Friday night YAY!


In Denver there have been signs up for this museum exhibit for the last 5 or so months. I finally went and saw it on Saturday and I think it actually lived up to the hype, it was just as fascinating and gruesome as you might think. Hundreds of plasticized human organs and many posed bodies make for probably the most successful exhibit in the history of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Here's a list of the most from the exhibit:

Most Gruesome: the full plasticized pregnant woman with 5 month old fetus in-utero.
Most Comedic: the first anatomically correct plastination in the exhibit was the 'Soccer Player', reactions (kids and grownups alike) were classic.
Most Bizarre: They had a polydactyl guy with 6 fingers and six toes.
Most Beautiful: (if you can believe it) the two bodies posed as figure skaters
Most Informative: The two side by side cutaways of a fat person and a skinny person were enough to make anyone go on a diet.

The exhibit took us about 2 hours to go through and by the end of it my lower back and my brain were both fried. One of the things that most surprised me about the whole experience was how disturbing it was to see that the eyelashes were still on most of the bodies, I don't know why but the eyelashes gave me the creeps.

After the museum I went home to recuperate and change for Beerday Colorado! a.k.a Erik and Karl's Summer Solstice Party. It was a lot of fun, the only people I knew were Erik (who I met like once through Tom and Catherine) and Porter who still knows me as that girl that threw up on Bubba's parent's new carpet. Luckily it seemed that most of the other people at the party were in the same boat (not knowing many people there). The party was at a cabin in Roosevelt National Forest not far outside Boulder, but far enough that there was absolutely zero cell phone service. It was beautiful despite having rained and hailed earlier in the day the stars were incredibly clear and there was a river that ran right by the house. They had a horseshoe pit, a keg, a grill and girls vs. guys flip cup, what more could anyone ask for? I even learned how to play yatzee at one point. A few of us were drunk enough to get up and have an impromptu dance party where one person would think up a move and everyone else would copy then pass it on, like Horse with dancing. Sounds lame, I know, but if you're as drunk as we were it was amazingly fun. Most of the people there were planning on setting up tents in the yard and spending the night but around 2:00am I decided that since I didn't have any extra clothes to change into and I would most likely either end up in a tent with a strange couple or on the wood floor of the cabin, I would instead make the late night drive back to my own bed in Denver. So I waited till I was sober enough to drive and left just as the guitar/drum circle was starting up for the night.

Comments:
Happy Beer Day you scurvy dog!
 
Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?