.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

June 22, 2005

Freaky Fruit

Yesterday, being the first day of summer, I was greeted by a coffee cake and a platter of fruit when I got to work. There was also a sign that said "Welcome Summer! Let's all eat fruit!" These are the times that I really like working here. Among the normal fruits (grapes, strawberries, blackberries) was an awesome looking Horned Melon. (the five year-old in me likes to call it a horny melon)



This guy (also where I got the picture from) says it better than I could but basically, the horned melon looks, on the inside, like mucus and tastes a bit like grass. I once, in an adventurous mood, bought a horned melon and brought it to a cookout. I don't remember it going over too well.

Another fruit in the looks really weird and doesn't taste all that great category is the rambutan.

These are some rambutans from a fruit stand in Hong Kong. The obsess.com guy has a humorous review of why he thinks these things look extremely unappetizing. The inside meaty part of the fruit is really slippery and reminded me of biting into a disembodied eyeball, gross. Also, the taste reminded me vaguely of processed coconut, which I don't like.

So, in summary, strange looking fruit => tread carefully.

Comments:
Ever run into a Durian while you were in Australia? They sound pretty unappealing. A smell so bad that they're frequently banned from public spaces... Hmm. "Like eating custard in a public bathroom". Yum!
 
Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?