.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

April 27, 2006

Today 70's and Sunny

Sunday, it was a little cold and ominous looking out but I had just watched Elizabethtown, which I'm reluctant to admit gave me that sweet sadness feeling which perfectly reflected the dreary sky. So I decided to go for a short walk in Cheeseman park in order to wallow in the feeling. It was very nice, there were people out walking their dogs while talking on the phone and even some kids out tossing a baseball. After taking a quick turn around the park I decided to take the slightly longer way back home. Just then the skies opened their fury and golfball sized hail started bulleting down from above. At first they were intermittent and huge and I was no where near shelter. I thought seriously that if one of them hit me I was likely in for a gigantic bump on the head. Unfortunately, I was still in my emotion coma from the movie as well as the peaceful walk and the hail fit in so well with the About a Boy soundrack coming from my iPod that I continued my slow walk down the street chuckling softly as I watched people madly running about with newspapers over their heads. Miraculously, I still hadn't been whacked on the head and only suffered a minor glancing shot to the right elbow when I'd finally made it to the 2 foot overhang outside the gay coffee shop. Several people were out under the overhang watching the mayhem ensue. And soon the hail came down faster and faster and smaller and smaller, they were now about pebble sized and coming down as thick as a spring rain storm in Virginia. We all stood there laughing and astonished as the hail continued for several minutes and car alarms went off all around us. It was a completely surreal experience, made even more so by the fact that it had been 70 degrees the day before and as soon as the hail hit the ground it shattered and melted on the warm pavement. It finished abruptly and faded quickly into a damp, chilly and sunny afternoon. The next day, April 24th, it snowed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?