.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

September 29, 2005

Books are our friends

While in Denver, Ted was asking me to write out a list of books I've read recently, so here it goes, in no particular order.

Stiff: The curious lives of human cadavers - I like to stick in non-fiction every once in a while. This was a good and interesting book, but don't attempt it if you're squeamish.

I, Robot (audio) - Several great short stories held together by a loose frame, Isaac Asimov is a genius. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm curious as to how they did it.

Dragonlance (the three central books) - I'm always a sucker for fantasy novels and these are no exception. If you like the genre you must read these.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - I reread books 4 and 5 in preparation. Though Goblet of Fire is still my favorite, Book 6 did not disappoint.

Phantom of the Opera (audio) - I loved the musical when I saw it in NYC a couple years ago and the book is great as well, a haunting mystery. The names were a little hard to keep straight as they were all French but perhaps that is because I was listening to it instead of reading it.

5 People You Meet in Heaven (audio) - This was on the top sellers list for a while but I wasn't all that impressed with it. It was too sappy and feel goody, also it dragged on a bit which is saying a lot for an audio book.

A Hat Full of Sky (audio) - Cute, light, children's fantasy book, though it's quite long. Terry Pratchett is a fun writer and any of his books would be good to read to your kids.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Takes a couple chapters to get into the dialog but a great scifi classic none the less. I love it when authors make up their own language, dialect or slang. What I liked the best about this book was all the references made to Australian idiosyncrasies (for those of you who aren't familiar with the book, it takes place on a Lunar penal colony).

Darwin's Radio (audio) - I loved the mix of evolutionary theory, archaic anthropology and hard core genetics in this book. The characters were a little lacking however.

Me Talk Pretty One Day (audio) - Funny and very sarcastic, though it could be a little whinny at times. The audio is read by the author himself and probably adds a bit to the story.

Currently reading:
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Tom recommended this to me and I'm about a third of the way through it. It's great so far but hard to explain what it's about without making it sound completely stupid.

Next on my list:
A Breath of Snow and Ashes - The latest in the Outlander series, it came out two days ago. Since, it's been several years since I read the last one, though, I may have to reread that first.
Biohazard - This was written by one of my coworkers professors. She says he's really neat and his life has been just amazing.
In Gods We Trust - I came across this the other day on Amazon and it looks intriguing, also, I haven't read an anthro book in a while.

If you have any good books to recommend let me know! I need something to put between those two upcoming non-fiction books.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?