.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

November 02, 2004

While you're all in a voting mood

Alright guys I'd like to take a vote on what I should do.

Here's the background:

I was on the plane from New York to Hong Kong by way of Vancouver and the entire ride I spent seated next to this little Taiwanese man. We chatted briefly as you will on longer flights but most of the time was spent either sleeping or watching our own personal televisions. He was wonderful, the perfect seatmate for the incredibly long flight. He didn't bother me, he politely asked when he needed to get out of the seat; I had the aisle seat. He wasn't a perfect english speaker so our conversations were a bit jumpy but not too bad. In fact we chatted just the perfect amount for a plane flight, not enough to really learn anything about the other person but enough so that you didn't have any fears that the person next to you was about to loose it and take over the plane with the little file on his nail clippers. Towards the end of the flight he was watching a special on Janet Jackson and asked me who she was because he didn't think that she was Whitney Houston. I explained that she was Michael Jackson's sister and this seemed to make him happy. I didn't even find out until the landing gear was almost down that this man was a Chinese language teacher (I don't remember which language) and that he had been to Canada and New York to visit an old school chum of his. I explained that I was heading to Bali and Hong Kong to vacation with old school friends as well. I was a little surprised when we were taxing at the Hong Kong airport and he pulls out this piece of paper with his name, phone number, and email address. He told me that if I ever got the chance to go to Taiwan that I should look him up and he would be happy to help me out or show me around or whatever. I didn't think anything of this at the time since this exchanging of contact information is rather common when travelling on your own, at least in Australia and Scotland. The only thing is that generally people don't follow up on it. It's like asking someone how they are, usually you don't want an accurate response, you just want the person to say "all right" and then you move on. Well this is what I thought was happening, so of course I ripped out my own piece of paper and quickly jotted down my name and email address. Now this man was not all that attractive he was older, about 40 I'd say, and I there didn't seem to be anything sketchy about him, he seemed a genuinely nice guy.

This is what I received in my email this morning:

Hi, Miss Julie:
Did you remember me last month when traveling from N.Y to Hong kong. I turned to Taipei, and you to Australia.
How about your this tour for sightseeing in Southern Hemisphere. I think it very interesting and fantastic! Would you
mind if I ask you to give me some landscape picture. Let me share with you.
I am not sure if you are free or willing to answer me. I will wait for your letter. You really impress me. I'll miss you.
Good luck!
Peter 2004.11.02 Taiwan


Ok so this man's grasp of the english language isn't perfect but, "You really impress me"? What is going on here?

So should I assume:

A) this man is innocuous and be the nice person and email him back with a couple of pictures or

B) this guy is a real skeeve and I should ignore the email completely?

If you believe that you are not a fully informed voter please ask questions.

"Vote or Die"

Comments:
A

-Naomi
 
Can I change my vote after I touch that big VOTE button?
 
You can but it might have to involve the oh so threatening and intimidating NERD MAFIA! It's a reverse mafia, they'll swap favors for protection but now it's their own protection. You'll be forever in their "family net" as security provider.
 
aw, send the poor man some pictures. as long as you're not in them.
-catherine
 
Post a Comment



<< Vistablind Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?